Friday, May 21, 2010

Kiva.org

I recently found a way that I can help to make a change to alleviate poverty right now.  I discovered a website, Kiva.org, on another blog.  This website is set-up to provide loans to people in developing countries who would be unable to receive a loan in a traditional method.  It allows you to contribute money, in $25 increments, to support these loans.  I was able to help finance loans for 2 small farmers in Peru.  Both of the loans periods are 12 months at which point I will be able to use the money to help other people.  Kiva has, I believe, a greater than 98% payback.  I haven't donated a large amount of money, but in the lives of these small farmers, I'm sure it means a lot.  I encourage everyone to at least take a look at this website to see if there is something that you can do.  Even $25 can make a large difference in the life of a person living in extreme poverty and by reinvesting over a ten year period you could make a great impact on the lives of 10 such people, all with the same $25 dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment